Image Map

Monday, March 31, 2014

Not My Shining Moment

Small Human has a cold again. I read that kids have at least 9 colds a year before they are even school age, so it's normal, but still annoying. He's been sleeping 13 hours a night for several months now, but that's out the window because of this double whammy of a cold plus molar teething (and also a bit of gas, it sounds like).

He woke up twice in three hours on Friday night and wouldn't go back to sleep. I felt really bad for him, but I was so tired. I find it very difficult and taxing to be nurturing and selfless when all I wanna do is lay catatonic on the couch in front of the television watching a marathon of Girls.

You haven't got a choice though, so you push through the exhaustion. Do you know what happens when you push through the exhaustion? You do things like clean and refill the stupid Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier that you bought for your son for precisely this type of situation, and then drop it on the kitchen floor while it's full of water. It didn't just fall, it is broken, I cracked it.

I was just winning at life on Friday night.

I'm trying out this new thing (for me), where I just breathe deeply and think about all the things that I am grateful for when I am at the end of my rope. Then I keep going. If I focus on the total suckage of the moment, it makes it ten times harder than it has to be, and I turn into a horribly surly woman. I have such a low tolerance for other people's surliness, I definitely don't want to add more of it to the world.

What was I grateful for when I was on the floor mopping up my royal spill and picking up the broken pieces of the humidifier I had smashed?

1. That we had the resources to buy another humidifier
2. Amazon Prime for 2-day shipping (yes, I am serious)
3. That I had really absorbent kitchen towels
4. A husband who was rocking a beast to sleep
5. The sweet beast that I would do anything for
6. My facial peel scheduled for the next morning

In the wider scope of life, the everyday stresses are all just very minor setbacks. The best any of us can do is handle what life chucks at us, get sleep, eat properly, and live life the best way we know how. For me, writing helps a lot, so thank you for reading and commiserating.

Lilibeth xoxo

Playing with the broken humidifier Saturday morning

No comments:

Post a Comment