Image Map

Monday, October 21, 2013

Outerwear Is Serious Business

Having been born and raised in Montreal, I am a pro at shopping for outerwear. I have my mother to credit for that, because she always looked for the best value, durability and longevity, as well as the warmest. Montreal winters are cold, hard, and miserable. Think Minnesota.

Noah's windbreaker/rain jacket
Luckily, the Pacific Northwest is more temperate, but still cold! Some winter days feel like London, England to me, a bone-chillingly wet cold. This now brings me to my conundrum:

What do I get to keep my little creature warm?Noah's outerwear right now consists mainly of a wind breaker/rain jacket, and a letterman jacket (so stinkin' cute!). They are both for 12-18 months at least, so unless he has some crazy monster growth spurt, we should be good for the whole winter.

The only thing is, I'd like him to have one really warm coat that is waterproof or water resistant and has a bit of down in it. That's the Canadian in me talking! The problem with baby coats and jackets is that they are so bloody expensive but most are mainly decorative, and ugly. I need warm and stylish!

I'm not sure if people realize this but I only buy Noah's clothes if they are crazy on sale and also cute. So if you happen to see something we have, like say, a twenty dollar cardigan, you can bet that I got it for about half that price, or even cheaper. 

In an ideal world, I would have all the money to spend on $50 Ugg boots for my baby that he will wear for 3 months, but that just isn't a reality. (If you find a sweet deal though, you better let me know!)

The GAP, Old Navy, Carters, and OshKosh B'gosh all have some variation of percentage discount sales going on right now. So if there's something you want to get, now is a good time to shop for your munchkina or munchkino!

By the time I finished writing this post, I finally decided, and ended up with this:
Warmest Puff Peacoat from The GAP
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what do to about a real coat either. In Tx, we prob won't need one and could get by with sweatshirts, but would need hats/gloves at least. But when we go to IL, we'll need a real warm coat. But, a 12 month would be too big and a 9 month might not fit long enough til then. *sigh* Noah's coat looks super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Ya, I'm basically justifying the purchase with our Toronto holiday trip. I need to find cute mittens too! I think I'm being too picky. ;) I think you could definitely get away with lots of layering.

    ReplyDelete