Image Map

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sun Protection

I have no idea if other mothers are like this but I am a bit obsessed with protecting my kid from the effects of the sun. I am aware that the sun offers the incredibly helpful nutrients like Vitamin D that humans need, but I am also aware of its harmful effects. (sunburn, damage, cancer, death)

Even though I have a lot of melanin and my skin tans in the blink of an eye, I still use sunscreen. I use SPF 15 on my face daily, and SPF 30 on any exposed skin, usually my arms, hands, shoulders, ears and tops of my feet. Apparently, anything over SPF 30 doesn't really protect you more, the key is re-application.

For the Small Human I use a natural mineral sunscreen of SPF 30, as well as a sunhat that blocks UVA & UVB rays. Mostly I worry about him because he is a baby but also because I don't know whose skin he has. Even though I tan very easily and do not burn (even without sunscreen), his daddy can burn just from a quick walk through the park in bright summer sun.

In any case, we are very safe, especially now that the sun has come back to Seattle. Everyone thinks it rains all the time, but that is just our winter/spring weather. On a sunny day I have to draw all our curtains and blinds in the apartment, or it will feel like the house is going to burst into flames. We even have shades on the balcony as an added heat deterrent. Yes, in Seattle.

This is what Noah and I use, I buy them on Amazon:








No comments:

Post a Comment