Image Map

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Baby Bottom Wash Comparisons

In the world of babies there really is a product for everything. While many people (myself included) scoff at the seemingly millions of things marketed towards parents, I still totally fall prey to some things. It's a toss up as to whether or not things are necessary or superfluous, so it all boils down to choice. Ultimately, at some point everyone knows what kind of parent/person you want to be, and you and the people around you should respect that.

In our house, we don't bathe Small Human every day. Unless he asks to have bath time, or he's been rolling around in sand, or rubbing food in his hair, we just wash his hands and face. There is no way I am going to wash his bum after every poopy diaper but it is vital to me that he remain clean and fresh and comfortable!

To achieve this we have been using no rinse, soapless washes. Noah's Auntie Natalie gave us a big Mustela gift basket before he was born which included their awesome Physio Bebe No Rinse Cleansing Fluid. It has been our go-to for the last 16 and a half months now. It works well, comes in pump form, and is free of parabens, pthalates, and phenoxyethanols. It's bloody expensive though, at $14.50 regular price for 10oz. I can sometimes find it with a 20% discount, but not always. Yeesh.

Then my very beloved Honest Company came out with their version called the Soothing Bottom Wash! I knew we had to try it at least once, and I can honestly say (pun totally intended) that I am pleased with it. It's $9.95 for 5oz though, which puts it at a much higher price point than the Mustela, BUT it can be used diluted with 10 parts distilled water to 1 part Bottom Wash. Not bad if you actually do it. For the sake of the comparison I am using it undiluted.

Initial thoughts on the Honest Soothing Bottom Wash: It's unfortunately really awesome. It makes Noah's bum clean and nice smelling afterwards. The wash comes in spray form, and just one spritz makes him smell like marshmallows. From poop to marshmallows, I kid you not. It's also aloe-based and contains a number of non-scary, identifiable ingredients.

Both washes are hypoallergenic, suitable for the face and hands as well, but the Honest wash is also supposed to be great for cleaning cuts and scrapes. I think I may be leaning more towards the Honest Soothing Bottom Wash, simply for the fact that I can dilute it and get more product out of it in the long run.


No comments:

Post a Comment