Image Map

Friday, July 4, 2014

Repetition

My threshold for reading the same book over and over again for an hour is very, very low. I never thought I would feel like killing myself over reading Dr. Seuss too many times in one day. The same Dr. Seuss book, that is, on never ending loop. It's so bad that I dreamed in rhyme last night.

I have a bad case of the repetitions. It was a relief to find out on Wednesday though, that I'm not the only one. The other mamas in my mommy & baby group who have known each other since our toddlers were little beans, all had the same gripe. There's just something comforting about knowing that there are a bunch of other people in the exact same boat as you, and that you're not actually insane.

Toddlers brains are hardwired for taking in a lot of information, and part of the way they can do this is learning through repetition. This is all fine and dandy, but what about the sanity of the person who gets saddled with this job? I felt really guilty because I actually hid "There's A Wocket In My Pocket" today. I hid it under one of the couch cushions because I was going to cry if my beautiful soul of a boy asked me to read it to him 40 more times today like we did yesterday.

It's silly and truthfully, very embarrassing that a book can give me such weird anxiety. I think that Wocket is going to have to go to that special pocket were no Wocket ever comes back from, but we'll see.

Happy 4th and happy weekend everybody!






No comments:

Post a Comment