Image Map

Monday, June 2, 2014

The Terrible Not Even Twos

I'm not entirely certain what the terrible twos are, but I think we are experiencing the beginning of them. Since our Small Human is unable to communicate his needs in sentences, I think he gets pretty frustrated with us and with himself when he can't achieve what he wants. This manifests in intermittent high pitched, deafening shrieks every minute or two.

He does this in stores, in the house, but never outside. He is definitely happiest outside. When he gets into one of his shrieking moods, nothing can stop him but distraction. We're walking a fine line between him learning that shrieking can get him what he wants, and him forgetting about what he was shrieking about.

Raising a toddler seems to have a lot to do with finding that delicate balance between keeping your child engaged and happy, yet preventing them from becoming horrible, spoiled beasts. Like many parents, Brendan and I have no idea what we are doing, but are using common sense and what feels right. So far, so good I think.

Noah's a good kid most of the time, but it drains all my energy when he throws these tantrums. Especially since his energy level has also kicked up a couple notches. Alternately, when he's happy he's like a Labrador Retriever puppy in human form. Or a wind up toy on speed. I'm starting to have trouble keeping up.

I'm so exhausted but I'm not complaining. Would I ever trade this in for married life pre-baby when we could do whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted, and sleep as long as we needed? Sure, maybe to visit for an hour. But I wouldn't trade having fat little cheeks to kiss, and a sweet boy who rushes into the kitchen to hug my legs while giggling maniacally, as I wash the dishes.

Still, I wouldn't mind an afternoon nap. Happy June, folks!



No comments:

Post a Comment