Image Map

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

It Isn't Thankless

When you're a mother, sometimes it starts to feel a little thankless. It kinda feels like what you do is invisible, like you're a superhero. People tend to take "superheros" for granted, and mothers certainly don't get thanked. The truth is, a million things get done, under duress usually. Boo-boos get kissed away, tears magically forgotten, laundry folded, toys put away, meals made, messes cleaned up, problems solved.

Obviously, we don't do it for the glory! There's no red carpet, no accolades, no one cares. I don't need a medal, but it's hard especially if you're a person who's used to getting praised. I've always been a hard worker, and I was used to feeling proud of my achievements but it's very different now. Now the alleged payoff is in the future, in my child.

I realized that you can't think of it that way though. The payoff is actually constant, but sometimes you're too tired or busy to see it. Also, sometimes you literally cannot see it. Until you do. Then it's one of those things that you can never unsee, in a good way. You understand all over again how and why you are able to do all the things you do every day, and it's magical.

Seeing this picture was all the thanks I needed. He loves me, and it isn't all for naught because I do it for him. I'm going to turn my blog into a book for you one day, my Noah, so that you can see how much effort I put into being your mommy, how deeply I cared about your well being and development, how crazy you drove me, and how embarrassing for you that your mother loves you this much. You'll understand when you have your own Small Human one day, but even then you'll still be my baby.

May you all have a wonderful week, and thank you mommy and daddy for doing all that you did for me.

Later that same day, he peed through his overfilled diaper while sitting on my lap
(I was stupidly holding out for bed time), he looked up at me and said, "Uh ohhhhh".

No comments:

Post a Comment