Image Map

Monday, April 14, 2014

Bad Mother

When you're a stay at home mom there are certain things you are supposed to do in order for your child to develop properly into a whole human being, or so we're told. You're supposed to play music, you're supposed to talk to them constantly about the things you are doing, you're supposed to read to them, and you're supposed to encourage age appropriate play. (And therefore Google age appropriate play)

Today I am a bad mother because I don't want to do any of these things. I will make sure his needs are met but I'm not going to do all the crap you're supposed to do because I just don't feel like it.

Instead of putting on music and reading aloud, I'm drinking a cup of coffee quietly and minding my own business. You know what Noah's doing? Happily playing with his toys, babbling to himself and occasionally coming over to press my control key.

The world will not end if Momie is having a lazy off day. Life goes on, and the baby will be just fine. In fact, they may be better than fine. You may find that he likes to discover the way things work on his own. He's figured out that the jack-in-the box doesn't need to be cranked because there's a button that releases the top. This is endlessly entertaining apparently.

So I'm not going to follow the rules or suggested guidelines or whatever other crap I'm supposed to do. I'm just going to have fun with my son today on our terms, because I think that's what we should do. If he wants to read, then we'll read, but you know what else is fun? Ice cream! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment