Image Map

Friday, September 13, 2013

How I Met Your Father

Today is the 7th anniversary of my first date with my husband. It also happens to be the 4 year anniversary of when we got engaged! Quite deliberate on Brendan's part, I think. I'm not sure that Noah will care about how his parents met. I feel like a girl would care more, but regardless, the poor kid is going to hear the story ad nauseam, because that is how mommy rolls. As for meeting my husband, I kind of have Jimmy Fallon to thank...

At the beginning of 2006, I moved to Toronto from Montreal to pursue my acting career. This was a huge step for me because I had no money, no job, and was basically flying by the seat of my pants like an idiot without a plan. I had an inexplicable pull to the city and I had no idea why. The first few months really weren't that great. The acting union went on strike just when I moved, and I was working as a waitress at a brunch restaurant where people were allergic to tipping, the manager hated me, and the owner sexually harassed me. The icing on the cake was that they fired me, on my birthday, no less.

Luckily, I ended up working the day shift as a barista at a coffee shop in the Entertainment District. It was a fun job, and I met so many awesome people when I worked there. One very awesome person in particular. A person who made 10am my favourite time of day.

Every morning at around 10 o'clock, a group of cute guys would come in to get their coffee. They were always very polite and friendly, and looked like fresh out of school, young professionals. Well, I noticed one in particular who looked (to me) a lot like Jimmy Fallon. So I told him this. For the record, I WAS NOT FLIRTING, I was merely stating a fact. Regardless, the boy turned out to be very sweet, and we started talking a little bit every morning. What really struck me about this boy was that he actually listened to me when I spoke to him, and he sounded like a truly interesting fellow. Ok now this is when I started flirting. I flirted shamelessly for two weeks straight, trying to get this guy to ask me out. I am pretty certain that he did not know my name at this point, because he referred to me as "SNL fan".

However, on Wednesday, September 13th, the boy who introduced himself to me as Brendan, didn't come in at 10am. I was so sad! He came in later, alone (aha!), and asked me if I wanted to go out for drinks. We ended up meeting later that evening for dinner and proceeded to have a first date that was like something straight out of a perfect, romantic comedy. That was the beginning of our family and we didn't even know it.

Now because I never got to formally thank the man, I plan on tagging him on Twitter and hope that he sees this.

Thanks Jimmy Fallon! Because of you, I have these guys:




No comments:

Post a Comment