Image Map

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Night Terrors? Are You Kidding Me?!

I am not 100% certain, because I don't have a medical degree, but I think Noah may be having night terrors. He has woken us up with his screams, and when we've gone in to comfort him, he doesn't seem to be awake. Yet when we try to get him to calm down, it's the biggest battle! He writhes and screams like he's in pain, and I swear I almost drove to the emergency room because I was terrified that he was dying. I don't know what the neighbours must think. Hopefully no one calls the cops on us, or I will be mortified!

I've read that for babies under a year, the only thing you can really do to prevent night terrors is make sure they nap a lot and don't get over tired. I have never been more thankful for my Ergobaby carrier in my life. It's the only thing that can get him to sleep if he's only about 75% tired. I tried putting him down for 3 naps today instead of 2, so we'll see how it goes tonight. It's been two nights in a row of this scary sleep-screaming. Actually last night he fully woke up, but was the hardest baby to put back to sleep. Torture all around. We are some tired Wilsons.

It's just so weird, because during the day, he's such a happy little baby man, but at 3am he is a crazed, feral beast. It is SO frustrating! Do we just learn how to function on virtually no sleep? Poor Brendan is working like a dog at the office, running on a few hours sleep a night, and I almost left my wallet at the bakery the other day because I live on the moon now. Weren't the first few months supposed to be the hard part?

I feel like we're going backwards when it comes to sleep progress, even though we are taking huge steps with his milestones. He is now walking around while holding onto the couch and coffee table, and starting to stand on his own (!!!). I am so happy and proud and thankful, but at this point, I fantasize about ordering sleep like you would a pizza. Somebody please invent that. PLEASE. I would give you all the monies.

Please give mommy and daddy one hour of sleep for each of the months you have lived on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment