Image Map

Friday, October 31, 2014

Simple Needs

I know that I talk about this a lot, but it's a subject that is on my mind pretty often. It is so easy to forget about yourself and forget about what makes you happy. This varies from person to person of course, but I'll let you know what I have discovered to be my personal bare minimum when it comes to staying a happy mommy.

1. Having clean hair

It seems superficial but it doesn't actually have anything to do with how my hair looks, but how it feels. If I feel like my hair is greasy or smelly, you can be sure that I won't be in a very good mood. Dry shampoo can certainly help, but being a dark haired mama dry shampoo can still often ball up and make me look like I have chunky dandruff. Two days without washing my hair is the longest I can go, especially if I will get rained on and in Seattle you can bet that I will.

2. A little bit of makeup

I still need to feel pretty even if the only person who is going to be looking at me is a toddler who doesn't care what I look like. Putting just a little makeup on has the ability to make me feel beautiful and put together. Plus I enjoy doing it, which is reason enough. Bonus points if I am wearing lipstick! (Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil FTW!)

3. Cute shoes

In order to feel good about myself, I need adorable footwear. The shoes don't need to be fancy, just cute and they need to be easy to put on. My go-tos are usually my matching Chucks with Small Human, ballet flats, or sleek boots.

4. A creative outlet

Writing my blog makes me happy. It is a public journal of sorts and I need it to stay sane. I also need to constantly be improving things, whether it's changing the covers of my couch cushions, stringing up a new garland for the next upcoming holiday, or planning something like Christmas cards or birthday parties. I quickly become surly if I do nothing but sing Caspar Babypants songs and eat Small Human's meal detritus all day. Do things that you find fun too. I la-la-love writing and having a hot cup of coffee, or watching a movie after my little guy is asleep for the night.

5. Grownup time

I really enjoy having the chance to talk to someone without having to tell anybody to, "Be gentle!" or "Say thank you!". It is necessary. Girl dates and hubby dates are perfect for such interactions, and I always look forward to them.


Just because you're a mama, it doesn't mean you have to sacrifice everything about yourself. You just have to plan it more rather than doing it organically like you used to, but it can be done! Have a safe and happy Halloween, and a great weekend y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment