Image Map

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Food Pouches, You're Breaking My Heart

Ok hold the phone. What the hell is going on with the baby food pouches on the market?! First, Plum Organics recalled nearly all of their stock because of a potential bacterial growth. They didn't say it in those words, they chose to use the more favourable term "swelling pouches". Now a video has gone viral on the internet about some Earth's Best pouches that contain LIVE maggots.

It is despicable that a company would charge so much for one little serving of baby food, claiming the ingredients are organic and more importantly, healthy for your baby, and yet not deliver on quality control.

If there are maggots in your food, it means that somewhere along the line your facilities aren't clean. I wouldn't call myself a germophobe, but when it comes to food contamination safety, I am all over it. Babies are resilient, but their digestive systems are so much more susceptible to dangerous bacteria because they're simply not mature yet.

I am livid. I thought I was doing the right thing by not making my own baby food because I wouldn't be able to properly store it, but apparently, the pros don't know how to do this either.

So far, Ella's Kitchen hasn't had any reports or incidents of baby food contamination, but I'm going to be vigilant about checking each pouch from now on.

I truly hope that no babies were affected or harmed in any way. Freaking gross.

Small Human loves to eat his Ella's Kitchen food pouches while reading the paper

2 comments:

  1. He is six months old, he sits on his own, he has six teeth and he HATES food. He makes faces for everything and spits it out. My first baby loved Indian food in Australia so much, so this is hard for me. How can I get him to eat and not spit it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I meant to get back to you sooner! I'm not really sure what to do with a baby that spits things out unfortunately. I've never dealt with that, because my son either swallows everything I put in his mouth, or it makes him gag and vomit. :/ What I do know though, is that babies change every day, so I'd keep trying and trying until he finally gets it. They've got to sometime, right? :)

    ReplyDelete