Image Map

Monday, November 4, 2013

First Child Stress Syndrome

Everyone tells you that you'll relax more with each child. Well, first of all, I don't think that's going to happen to me because my personality is that of an extreme worrier. Secondly, what difference does it make? We are living in the here and now, and I am presently quite stressed out.

Small Human's top teeth have been threatening to come in for weeks and weeks now, yet they still haven't broken through. I think we're close though, because he's currently having the worst of all the teething symptoms. It started with irritability, biting and drooling, then diarrhea, diaper rash, and now the worst thing for me: Noah's on a hunger strike.

I've been worried sick because I know how quickly a baby's health can deteriorate due to dehydration. Diarrhea coupled with not drinking or eating is the recipe for a sick baby in hospital. Brendan and I did our best, giving him solids and forcing him to keep drinking sips of formula and water all day long.

However, when Noah refused his last bottle of the night, I almost lost it, I was sure we were somehow allowing him to die. He consumed only two bottles of formula instead of his usual five, and two packets of baby food instead of three. He slept so soundly though, which naturally scared the living daylights out of me because I thought he was in some kind of malnutrition induced coma (he wasn't).

This weekend was very trying. I think Noah had three baths in two days because of multiple diarrhea leakages, got a hunk of poop on his head, threw up all over the carpet, and bit both mommy and daddy. He's been inconsolable and whiny, and just wants to be held! He hasn't been good with the napping, but is thankfully still sleeping through the night.

I need a break, I've had enough. I love my son so much, but I seriously needed to not make eye contact with him for awhile by Sunday afternoon.

Do you know what to do if your baby has diarrhea or is vomiting? The most obvious and safest thing to do is go see your pediatrician, especially if your baby has a fever. In the meantime, if you've got a solid food eater, give them bananas, rice cereal, apple, and plain toasted bread if they're used to it. But like I said, there is no replacement for seeing your doctor.

The upside to the weekend? Thank goodness he no longer has screaming fits in the bath, or it would have been WAY worse.



No comments:

Post a Comment