Image Map

Monday, August 26, 2013

The Problem With Pacis

Pacifier: a usually nipple-shaped device for babies to suck or bite on; a tranquilizer. 

Noah is 7 months old and addicted to his paci. He doesn't need it constantly throughout the day, although I do bring one everywhere we go just in case, -but he needs it to sleep. Today, I realized that he has started waking up in the middle of the night because he can't locate it, and today is the day I decided to quit the pacifier cold turkey. It is now 1:43am, and that decision is currently biting me in the ass. He's been waking up every 30 minutes, screaming like a banshee. At one point, I saw our sweet, little blind bunny, Toby, hightail it out of the nursery for dear life.
1 day old Noah

Every article I've read on pacifier weaning says that the earlier you do it, the better. I hadn't intended on using pacifiers in the first place, but I got sucked into it (pun intended) because: calm babies are awesome, happy babies. I feel like it's not really a huge deal to use one, but if he will end up sleeping better sooner without it, then oh yes please, bring it on. 

We started with his naps today, absolutely no pacis allowed. As a result, he was clingier and only napped for 30-45 minutes, compared to his usual 60-120 minutes. That is a huge difference, and it was torturous for everyone involved.

When we put him down for bed at 7:30, it seemed promising, but he woke up at 11, then 11:30, 12, and at 12:30 I gave him a bottle because I figured he was probably hungry at that point. He fell asleep at 1, but was up again at 1:30 and it is now 2 and he is starting to stir again. Maybe going cold turkey was a bad idea. No, no! I will not succumb!

Yeah ok, I might succumb. I'll let you know how it goes if I haven't died of sleep deprivation.

*UPDATE: It's 3:15am and I caved. I am exhausted, nauseous, and almost bought Frye ballet flats at full price out of delirium. Mommy out.


Noah last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment