Image Map

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Teaching Your Kid Social Niceties

Small Human and I are pretty much always together. Summer camp is the first time I have consistently dropped him off and left him somewhere. It hasn't been a problem so far, but I have noticed that he doesn't acknowledge the fact that I'm leaving him. I get no goodbye, no kiss, no hug, in fact I get absolutely nothing. That's when I realized that I never properly taught him how to say goodbye to me. He doesn't know what he's supposed to do, because I never showed him, duh.

I explained to him that when I take him to camp and I leave him there, the appropriate way to behave is to say the words, "goodbye mumum" and give me a hug, or a hug and a kiss. And you know what? He remembered on Monday! I can't believe it never occurred to me that this was one of the things I had to show him, and I think that's because when he does it with other people, I'm there to coach him on what to do.

Parenthood is such a funny thing, it's a learn-as-you-go type of job. Happy Wednesday!

We had a proper "Bye bye mumum!" today too

No comments:

Post a Comment