Image Map

Monday, December 15, 2014

Dr. Small Human and Mr. Hyde

My son has two different personalities. There's my sweet, rambunctious and happy boy during the week, and the whiny, mommy-hating boy on the weekends. I can't begin to tell you how frustrating this is for me. On the weekends, Small Human has his Daddy, so mommy automatically becomes chopped liver. Daddy is cooler, can reach higher things, and is far more rare than hanging out with that Momie lady again.

Not only does my son hate me on the weekends, but he turns into a whiner. If you have children, you know that whining is probably the most soul sucking, awful, energy draining thing your child can do to you. We don't understand it, but we just wish it would stop. Telling him to stop doesn't work; placating him doesn't work; and distracting him kinda works for a bit, unless he's hellbent on whining some more. This of course, confuses my husband. Where is the funny boy he reads about in all the emails I send him while he's at work? Where's the cute son who poses for Momie's iPhone photo shoots?

During the week we have a bit of a routine, and I think that might be part of the problem over the weekends. Monday to Friday he's usually a pretty regular toddler. He's happy, curious, and energetic, he gets cranky when he's tired or hungry. It's pretty easy really. We go on outings and play dates, we go for walks, we run errands, and there is very little whining going on. The best is when I get hugs and kisses, or when he pretends to eat my cheeks while we read (because I do that to him!).

Obviously, there are times when he misbehaves or deliberately refuses to listen to me, but that's a lot like every work environment really. You deal with it and you move on. The big difference is that it really hurts my feelings when it's my son! We're best friends during the week and frenemies on the weekends. This is certainly something nobody warned me about. It's a good thing there's a lot of laundry, vacuuming, organizing and wrapping of presents to do to really dwell on it too much.

Happy Monday!

My hilarious boy, inspecting his sippy cup for leaks cause of the mess he left on the hall bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment