Image Map

Friday, May 15, 2015

Celebs Ruined Pregnancy

I have several friends who are pregnant at the same time as me, which is super fun and adorable. We understand the crazy hormones and strange ailments that plague us while we grow a new family member, and we can commiserate with one another in real time, which is really great.

There is one thing I've noticed that has been a particular thorn in my side though, and that is the weight gain belly aching. No one likes to get progressively fatter, but it's going to happen when one is pregnant no matter what. However, the good thing is that there is in fact, an end in sight.

Theodore Roosevelt said that comparison is the thief of joy, and I think that's what the culprit is in this instance. You look around at other pregnant women who only gain weight in their bellies, or celebrities that show off their hard bikini bods at 9 months pregnant and subsequently, postpartum (I'm talking to you Gisele Bundchen!), and one can't help but compare.

I am 100% more active this pregnancy than I was with my first. Old wives tales (and silly people) had scared me into being more sedentary and I ended up gaining 40+ pounds with Small Human. With a two year old, it's pretty much totally impossible to remain inactive. Plus I've added a daily squat challenge and arm exercises to my routine since the second trimester. I'm going to be adding moderate stationary cycling soonish, but I still don't quite have the energy for it. For those still skeptical about prenatal exercise, read this from the Mayo Clinic.

Even with always being on the move, added exercise, and not eating unlimited cupcakes and treats, I still gained weight all over. I think that it's just the way my body treats pregnancy. My face and arms are fuller, and I have a layer of fat on my back that plagues me every time I look in the mirror, but I'm ecstatically happy every time I see my big belly. I also vowed not to look at the scale this pregnancy (although I accidentally saw my weight at my last OB appointment), because I don't want to be obsessed. I told my nurse and doctor to only let me know if there was a problem, such as gaining too much or too little. And you know what? It has brought me such peace of mind.

I'm happy and healthy and so is my little babe, and that's what matters. I feel beautiful, regardless of how much weight Jessica Alba gained with her two girls, or how amazing Gisele looks in her skimpy bikini. They are not me, I am Lilibeth, and this is how I rock pregnancy, thank-you-very-much.

Have a wonderful weekend friends & family!

No comments:

Post a Comment