Image Map

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

There Are Only Two

When I'm out and about in the world, I often get looks of reverence that I don't feel I deserve. Sometimes people come right up to me to tell me how brave they think I am to venture out with a toddler and a baby. When did two kids become a preposterous thing to behold? My dad is the oldest of 21 kids and my mom the third eldest in a family of 8 children. Going to the store with 2 is really only a little bit harder for me, but I certainly didn't think we would attract quite so much attention!

Maybe it's cause my boys are so darn cute. Yeah, I'm just gonna go with that, because I really don't think I'm doing anything amazing over here. Please don't think I'm trying to tell anyone that it's easy, because that is just laughable. I haven't blogged in two weeks because I came down with a really bad case of mastitis that took me out for a whole week, and then I fell ill with some disgusting stomach virus that I am still only just now recovering from. While mommy is sick, life goes on, full steam ahead, with birthdays and birthday parties, toddler preschool, mommy and baby meetings, and kind friends who help you out when you feel like you can't go on anymore.

Having children is difficult, and I look back at pictures of Brendan and I from three years ago and am shocked by the amount we have aged since having Noah, but it's not impossible. I am passionate about raising these boys, even if I complain a lot about it, and feel broken from all the gross germs they bring into the house.

When you're a parent, as I've said countless times before, it feels like it can become a thankless slog of a job, but I don't need any medals. I just want to not feel like I'm failing every day, like I'm making some sort of difference in the world by giving it these two great little boys. I guess I won't know until years from now, so I'll try to enjoy the here and now and do my very best.

Happy Groundhog Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment